Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Taming triggers and temptations

Temptations. We've all been there...



  Well, I felt as if I had been making strides in my new lifestyle changes. Going along, making good choices, and then BAM! I went to a friend's house where I was expecting to make good choices and be supported in those choices {since everyone knows I'm trying to be healthy}, but instead was confronted and tempted by my kryptonite. The dreaded: sweets. You can't avoid them, you can't expect others to avoid them just because you are, they will always be around, and will always be an option. I wasn't tempted by my friends and they didn't encourage me to "have a small bite." They knew that I was avoiding it at all cost, but I was tempted by them enjoying it. 

So, my triggers? Social situations, celebrating, being bored, being sad, having a good time... yeah, pretty much anything having to do with emotions, really. So for me, it's hard to go hang out with the girls. Trying to avoid that temptation to eat the delicious desserts that are being devoured by my friends is almost unbearable! They all took part, which is fine for them, but I just had to pass. I didn't want to make it okay right now, because honestly, it's not. I'm not there yet. I know me too well. If I do it "just this one time," I will always have an excuse as to why "just one more time" is okay. I'm really good at coming up with reasons or manipulating the situation to believe or convince myself it is worth it. The truth? It's not! That saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is truly dead on. It's hard to believe that when you want nothing more than to indulge, but when you've been there {skinny} you know, you believe. Plus, once you hit your weight goal you really can indulge {every once in a while} and know that it has no power over you. You will be more responsible because you don't want to go back to where you were. Think of it as something to look forward to!

How can we tame triggers and temptations? I, personally, have to look at this from an addicts view point. If you know what "sets you off" then you need to avoid that at all cost. If it's a person, you let them know they aren't a good influence or that they are hindering you from your goals by doing ___ {fill in the blank that applies to your situation}. If it's a location, don't go there... etc, etc. I mentioned that my triggers are emotional. How do you avoid emotions? AHA. You got me there. You can't! So what does that mean? Well, obviously it means I need to deal with my emotions in a different way. I have an unhealthy relationship with food. Food is purely fuel. It is not meant as anything else! Then why is it so hard to accept that? If I know what it's for, why do I abuse it? Well, I'm not a therapist... so I'm not 100% sure why. I've tried identifying these things in my past. I've even gone to counseling for various reasons to help treat my depression. I've healed a lot from my past, and no longer blame my weight gain on that. So why do I still struggle? My best bet is it has become a habit. My coping mechanisms from the past have been with me for so long, that it's just how I've learned to view food. It also doesn't help that as an American, we have all grown custom to loving food as a way to express our emotions {i.e. celebrating special occasions, enjoying family/company outside of holidays, meeting for discussion, going on a date... the list goes on and on}. 

To tame my temptations, the best thing I can do is be aware. Knowing the causes, staying away from triggers, and doing my best to deal with the underlying issues. I think it's a pretty good accomplishment just knowing and being able to identify these things about myself.

Look long and hard at your life and try to figure out why you do the things you do. Sometimes, as an addict, we've done these things for so long ... we do them because we flat out enjoy it. Is it fun to be carefree and do whatever I want with no regards for my health or future? Unfortunately, yes. Is it worth it? No. After I binge or choose the unhealthy option over the healthy one, and I've come "down from the high" of satisfying my craving... I'm upset. I know it's only making things worse. It's only adding to the pounds. it's only satisfying for a few moments, and then it's gone. 


I struggle everyday to make the healthy choice. I think it's likely I'll struggle for a very long time. It's almost been 10 years worth of abusing my body. It's going to take time to undo that harm. Not just physically removing the evidence, but emotionally. 

This got deep. Sometimes it takes a good, long, hard look at "the why" and what needs to change. 

Can I just close with this? ----> I am actually proud of me. I probably never say that, but it feels good. I dug deep and decided against eating that dessert last night. I battled it the whole time I was at my friend's house, it was on my mind the entire time, but I never gave in. I think that's noteworthy. I also went to the gym. I'm taking the right steps to lead me down the right path. These are baby steps, but even if it's slow and little progress ... it's still progress. That's what matters.

What are things you struggle with or are tempted by? What are some of your triggers?

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, great post! I am keeping up with your blog and so proud of you for fighting the urge to eat that dessert. It is super hard I have the same problem with eating sweets or just sugar in general, it is so hard for me to say no. You are a great friend and I am so glad to have you in my life, keep up the good work and I am here for you always! Next time we hang out we will not go eat anywhere we will do something active!!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamara! I appreciate that support and your friendship! You're the best. (:

      I love you too friend; I'm excited to hang out again soon.

      Delete