Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Cheat" Day...

  
A few posts ago, I told you I would expand on the idea of why I dislike the term "cheat day." It's a really popular term and a lot of people actually recommend it. I'm not saying you shouldn't give yourself a break here and there. Actually, I don't have a problem with having a day "off" from all the counting {whether it's points, fat grams, carbs, calories...} at all. Heck, I think it's a really good idea and way to stay on track. What I have a problem with is the actually word itself. Cheat.





I don't know about you, but when I think of cheating, it makes me think of the worst thing...
cheat·er
CHētər
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who acts dishonestly in order to gain an advantage.


That's the definition of a cheater. A cheater cheats. Why would I want to shame myself for a time that is meant to be good? Why would I want to put a negative connotation with something that's means to be positive? I don't want to be made to feel guilty! I don't want to feel like I'm failing. I don't want to associate a day "off" with being dishonest to my lifestyle change. So, what would I call my day "off?"

How about:
  • Treat Day
  • Reward Time
  • Day Off
  • Guilt-Free Day
Now, I'm already contradicting myself (as imperfect humans do...) 
I could of sworn I said food was not a reward or anything other than fuel?! Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. So, how do I remedy this? Maybe the answer is to contradict myself again and decide I don't agree with "days off" at all. Maybe the answer is to do your best to stick to whatever your plan is to be overall healthy, and if you slip-up and have a snack/dessert/2nd dinner, you should just give yourself a break. Hmmm...

 Everything within reason.

I say give yourself a break, don't be too hard on yourself, and don't make yourself feel guilty; just move forward. If you find you are having slip-ups and giving yourself too much of a break, then you are never going to achieve your goal. Again everything within reason, everything in moderation!

There is a fine line for everything. Give yourself a break, but not too big of one that you completely give up. Don't feel guilty, but don't be completely guilt-free. If you have a "day off," don't go crazy. {Don't go to a fast food restaurant, super-size everything, have dessert, grab a candy bar for a snack, and then go out to dinner to a buffet. No. No. No.}  If you feel you can't walk the line responsibly, then don't give yourself that break. We all have to be adults and be responsible for our actions, good or bad.

So, to clear up my contradictions completely...
  1. I do agree with having a "day off" every once in a while, but not all the time. {If you can handle the responsibility.}
  2. Do it as a reward of relief, not as an indulgence in food.
  3. Everything in moderation. A day off isn't a carb-loaded, fat saturated, every meal is fried, kind of day.
  4. Give yourself a break, don't beat yourself up.
  5. Work extra hard all the other days so it's worth it.
It's hard work to stay committed, focused, determined, motivated and strong-willed. It's nice to get a break from reality. It's nice to have a relief from that stress. It's nice not to feel guilty, not to feel I'm "cheating" myself. Instead, I'm just having a day off. It doesn't have to be a day, it could be just a meal. That one meal... to be "guilt-free"... it's like vacation. Who doesn't need a vacation every now and then?


Awwe Yeah... Vacation!!!!!


What do you think? Do you have days off? Are they a good idea or bad? How do you keep yourself in check?

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of not calling it a cheat day! I am so glad I read your blog! The motivation and encouragement you have is a huge inspiration to me down my path to a healthier, fit lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nichole, I'm so happy to hear this! Thank you! Knowing I'm encouraging or inspiring others to stay on track or get healthy keeps me accountable. I want to do better and be better so I can show others we can do this, together. (:

      Delete
  2. I have had many days off for a while now...When my pants start getting tight I usually reel it in and get back on track. I'm not a very good example right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too girl, except my pants getting tight didn't click with me until I had to go to the store to buy pants to fit and saw what size I was buying. :( A little too late by then, or so it feels. But it's never too late to turn your life around and make healthy choices!

      Delete