Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Choose health... For you & your family!




Yesterday Baby S had his 9 month baby-well visit. I was discussing various things with the pediatrician and got onto the topic of his diet. I'm constantly worrying about whether he eats too much {rarely worry about him eating too little... if you saw a picture, you would understand! Ha!} and whether I'm feeding him what he needs for proper nutrition. #FirstTimeMom #MommyProblems

She told me that what he is getting right now is fine, but that I should start weaning. I always thought I would start baby-led weaning soon after he started to eat, but I've been so scared! I have given him "big people food" before, {like mashed potatoes and bananas} but I haven't fed him solely from whatever we are eating for lunch/dinner. I'm really, really nervous about this stage of development. Again, I discussed all of this with his pediatrician and told her my concerns. Basically, in a nutshell, I don't eat healthy. I'm so nervous because I do not want and WILL NOT ALLOW Baby S to be fat. I'm trying to be better and make better choices, but overall I haven't mastered the ideal choices.


I refuse to be a bad influence on Baby S. I refuse to be the reason he is fat. I refuse to instill bad habits. I refuse to lead him down the path I'm on now. It's totally and completely my and my husband's responsibility to choose health for our son. Baby S depends on us. He requires our guidance. He has no choice on what he eats right now. Everything that goes into his body is because of our decision making. As if basic parenting isn't daunting enough; you're slapped with the reality check that every decision - big or small - will ultimately affect your child's future! 


So. I decided that I was going to take on this challenge. If I don't choose something healthy for myself, then I'm going to have double the work. If my meal isn't healthy, I'll be cooking two different meals {one for us and one for him}. That just seems like a waste of time and energy if you ask me! This is my new challenge. It's not just about me anymore, {Well, this weight-loss journey is still about me...} but it's about my family's health!


6 comments:

  1. Transitioning your baby's diet from solely milk and baby mush to table food seems daunting as a first time mommy. Once he's there though you'll almost forget what life was like when all he had was milk. I think you have a while though before you need to worry about him being fat. Babies are supposed to be fat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Becky! Every "milestone," once routine sets in, becomes normal and I don't ever remember it being different...
      Plus- the Dr said the same thing! If he's ever going to be fat, now's the time! I think she said I don't have to "worry" until he's like, two. I love the baby fat and he's adorable the way he is, I just don't want to start him out in his adolescence in the wrong direction (potentially setting him up for failure in his future). I have a feeling this boy will be so ridiculously active that I may not have to worry about it at all!! Lol

      Delete
  2. I just found this website and liked the tips-
    http://www.yourkidstable.com/2012/09/how-to-transition-your-baby-or-toddler.html
    I loved this list of foods for ideas-
    http://www.yourkidstable.com/2012/06/mega-list-of-first-finger-foods-for.html

    We've got our food routine going so smoothly that I'm not rushing to change it but I know she can't have formula, baby oatmeal and pureed baby foods forever! It is fun seeing her react to new tastes and textures though. I do feel like you, and want to make my meals healthy so we can all eat the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the websites Cynda! Those were great. As of last week to this week, I've used my food processor to cut up some chicken and veggies that I sauteed and just fed him that everyday! LOL I feel bad he ate the same thing for a week straight, but he finally let me know when he was over it. (He started turning his head and spitting it out - which he has never done to food! LOL!) It makes it easier than I thought, though, if I can use the same meal over and over...

      Delete
    2. I need to start using the food processor for her. I know what you mean about repeating! One day you make something good, then the next day it's like "what? I have to think of something good to eat again?"

      One night I was all prepared and she fed herself (and the highchair, and the floor) boiled egg yolk and smashed black beans and shredded cheese with some avocado. So fresh and healthy! Then the next night I'm like... hmmm... and fed her a chicken and veggies level two baby food container. The next night.. hey, how about some black beans and shredded cheese!

      Delete
    3. HAHAHA! Love that! I'm so glad it isn't just me...
      Thank goodness Baby S doesn't care when I switch back to the baby food containers or I don't know what I would do! ;)

      Delete